Title: Community Producers Peer Mentor
Salary: $12.00 per hour
Schedule: 12 hours per week (10 Program hours, 2 Professional Development hours)
Job Duration: Immediate - September 2018
Maysles Documentary Center (MDC) understands that Mentors are a key component to the success of any youth leadership development program. MDC seeks two Peer Mentors who are alumni of the Community Producers Program who have demonstrated strong leadership skills during their time as a participant, and have produced a short documentary during their time at Maysles.
The two Peer Mentors will report to the Co-Educators of the Community Producers Program. They will help facilitate workshop activities as designated, and help document the group’s progress. As Peer Mentors, they will not produce a short film but rather assist the participants in completing their documentaries. Their key role is to provide support to the Media Educators and CPP participants throughout the program, and to model positive leadership skills to the group. Peer Mentors will need to be available Mondays and Thursdays, 2:30pm - 7:30pm from April 2018 - September 2018. Additional hours, to be determined.
The responsibilities of the Peer Mentor are as follows:
- Consistent communication with all MDC staff and participants
- Arrive on time for all meetings and program sessions
- Assist with the prep and cleanup of Educational Space for program
- Greet participants upon arrival and make sure they sign in correctly
- Assist in the facilitation and flow of group sessions by:
- conduct/facilitate icebreakers/activities when asked;
- model engagement in all activities during group sessions;
- act as a recorder for group discussions when asked;
- encourage and support the use of Community Agreements and Talking Piece during group sessions.
- Support participants on their group projects including assisting with story development, time management, production, and post-production
- Demonstrate positive leadership skills during program sessions, on production shoots, and anytime representing MDC
- Register and attend weekly professional development classes/sessions/courses
- Good Interpersonal and Time Management Skills
- Interest in film/documentary making
- Basic knowledge of Final Cut 7 and Camera
- In pursuant of Higher Education
- Maturity in dealing with confidential and personal information
- Interest in discussion about diverse perspectives and experiences
Desired Qualifications & Characteristics
- Reliable and accountable
- Approachable and non-judgemental
Click HERE to apply.