The Maysles Cinema seeks students interested in the communications and promotional work involved to engage diverse audiences in a range of documentary and non-fiction programming for our micro-cinema in Harlem. Interns will work directly with our staff to create vibrant and engaging copy and/or visual components to promote upcoming programming as well as work with members of the press and filmmakers to connect with potential audiences.
At the Maysles Cinema, our print and promotional materials are key to meeting the challenge of developing a diverse, lively audience for documentary film across boundaries of race, class, gender and generation. The promotional materials produced by our communications interns will be public copy reflecting and exulting the value of the films, filmmakers, subjects and series screening in our micro cinema. We encourage anyone with an interest and comparable skillset in communications, distribution, film criticism or film studies to apply.
- Assist with writing and publishing social media promotions for upcoming Cinema programming
-Working on weekly newsletters that inform our thousands of members about upcoming programming
-Updating the Maysles website to reflect upcoming programming
-Writing blog posts and articles related to upcoming programming as needed for press and promotions
-Conceptualize and design promotional materials in the form of posters, flyers, web materials, calendars, paintings, photos etc. as promotional works of art
-Strong writing skills with a focus on cinema
-Knowledge of social media practices and trends
-Practical graphic design experience (firm understanding of InDesign/Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Ability to work with diverse source material
- Ability to appeal to a varied audience with a solid understanding of community outreach
To be considered, please submit the following materials to email@example.com with subject heading
• Cover letter in the form of a personal statement of no more than 500 words, explaining why you would like to take part in the internship program and telling us about yourself, your interests, concerns, and ideas.
• Your resume – include a list of relevant skill sets
• A sample of your graphic design work
Incomplete applications will not be acknowledged. Interviews for finalists will be set up after the above materials have been received and evaluated.